Problem booting diskless SS1

Steve Losen scl at sasha.acc.Virginia.EDU
Fri Apr 13 07:15:51 AEST 1990

I have recently set up a diskless SS1 client on another SS1 disk server.
The diskless client doesn't boot up all the way without manual
intervention.  It tftpboots and prints out the correct bootparam
information (where its root and swap are coming from), loads and starts
executing vmunix.  After probing for devices and printing them all out, it
prompts for a root partition on the floppy disk.  The prompt looks
something like this.

root (fd%d%c):

There's no floppy drive on this SS1.  I believe the probe by the kernel
prints out a line for fd0, though.  At any rate, I can successfully boot
this system all the way with

> b le() -a

and answering all the questions.

Evidently this system thinks it has a floppy when it doesn't.  This is
straight out of the shipping box.  We haven't messed with a thing inside
it.  I've looked at the eeprom stuff, but there doesn't seem to be
anything applicable there.  Is there a jumper or dip switch inside that's
set wrong?

Steve Losen
scl at virginia.edu     University of Virginia Academic Computing Center