Sun 2/50 Question (Yes, they still exist :-)

Anthony A. Datri convex!datri at uunet.uu.net
Sat Feb 10 04:21:11 AEST 1990

=As I remember, that model had a single board in the base of the monitor
=just like the 3/50, 3/60, etc.  In fact, isn't it just like a 3/50 but
=with a 68010 (Sun-2) on it?

Not really.  Two slots, the bottom one for the cpu, the upper one for a
SCSI/memory semi-daughterboardish board.  Really hideous to extract and
insert.

=(le0) which is faster than the Intel interface (ie0).  The SCSI interface
=(that 50pin connector on the back) is anyone's guess but I think it should
=be a Western Digital chip and it is what it is.

Unless you have the SCSI board, the connector goes nowhere.

=Typical and correct drives (so they are bootable) would be ST-506
=interface and Maxtor 1140 (140MB) or 2190's (190MB) would be the correct
=ones to boot off.  The controller would be an Adaptec 4000A SCSI/ST506
=disk controller.

MD21/ESDI disk or embedded SCSI should work fine too.