Halp! SunLink DNI 6.0 problems on 4/60c

Bill Wisner wisner at hayes.fai.alaska.edu
Tue Feb 20 07:45:36 AEST 1990

In article <5093 at brazos.Rice.edu>, jet at tramp (j. eric townsend) writes:
>(I installed it from 1/2in tape by dd < dev > file, then untared the
>files.  If you can tell me why that'd be the cause of some of these
>problems, please do.)

>1.  There're no man pages, to the best of my knowledge.

SMI brain death.

>2.  dnilogind doesn't get started automatically, so I ran it with no
>    arguments.  I still can't log in from another decnet site (I can dnilogin
>    out, however).

Run dniserver. It's like inetd for DNI.

>3.  Is there no LAT support?  I bought it assuming there would be.  (I
>    know, never assume, especially with computer vendors.)

No. SMI brain death.

>4.  ncp is pretty broken, imho.  There seems to be no way to copy a
>    database from another decnet node.

Yes, it is. SMI brain death.

>Hey Sun, after paying $600 for SunLink DNI 6.0, I feel ripped off in a
>major way.

And, a gripe of my own. SunLink DNI can only connect directly to DECNET
sites on the local Ethernet. Real DECNET is smart enough to route packets
appropriately.

Overall, SunLink DNI a major disappointment.

Bill Wisner <wisner at hayes.fai.alaska.edu> Gryphon Gang Fairbanks AK 99775