booting across subnets

Dale R. Wyttenbach local!wytten at cs.umn.edu
Thu Feb 15 06:35:50 AEST 1990

In article <4959 at brazos.Rice.edu> zardoz!cerveza!gary at uunet.uu.net (Gary Cattelino) writes:
>The conversation about getting ypbind to work across subnets got me to
>wondering about booting diskless clients from a server that's not on the
>same brodcast net.  Will the RARP packet get to the server on the other
>network or not?

No

>If not, how do machines boot across subnets?

Put something like the following in the client's rc.local:

	if [ -f /usr/etc/ypbind ]; then
		/usr/etc/ypbind && (echo -n ' ypbind')		>/dev/console
# set yp server
		/usr/etc/yp/ypset (IP_ADDRESS_OF_YP_SERVER)
	fi

 Dale Wyttenbach		     |		...rutgers!umn-cs!wytten
 wytten at cs.umn.edu		     |		   wytten at umnacvx.bitnet
Computer Science Department Systems Staff--University of Minnesota, Minneapolis