Vax with VMS connect to Sun ethernet network?

Ronnie Killough ronniek at cssun.tamu.edu
Tue Feb 27 08:47:20 AEST 1990

In article <5284 at brazos.Rice.edu> array!gene at cs.utexas.edu (Gene Amdur) writes:

>We are buying a Vax and (for various reasons) want to run VMS on it.  We
>also would like to link the Vax to our local area network of Suns running
>NFS.  We would like to be able to log onto the Vax from the Suns and
>transfer files back and forth.

There is a package (all software) called Multinet (I can tell you where to
get it if you like) that lets VMS machines talk tcp/ip, including ftp,
telnet, etc.

>The problem is that the company which is going to sell us the Vax claims
>that the Vax can talk to an Ultrix machine but that's it.

Bull.  Straight out of the box, it can only talk to Ultrix machines, since
Ultrix machines come with DECnet software.  The Multinet software allows
Vax machines to talk tcp/ip, and I've heard rumors of some software for
the Suns that lets them talk DECnet (why, I don't know).

Ronnie Killough