ld.so dirties user stack

Marc Sabatella mjs at hpfcso.hp.com
Thu Feb 8 06:15:28 AEST 1990

We have recently been porting some code around and have run into some
problems related to shared libraries.  What happened is that there were
some uninitialized variables used by the code, and these variables usually
"happened" to be zero, since the stack normally starts out clean.  But
when we started using shared libraries, we found that the dynamic linker
was leaving garbage on the stack.  We have fixed the instances we have
found, but we are wondering if anyone else has found this to be a problem,
or if anyone has run into any other problems where code that used to work
stopped working due to shared libraries (such as the warnings given in the
manual about dynamic vs. static binding semantics).

Marc Sabatella
marc at hpmonk.hp.com