Help with OpenWindows

Chuck Musciano chuck at trantor.harris-atd.com
Wed Feb 28 03:59:17 AEST 1990

I am just beginning to use OpenWindows, and have discovered that the
documentation is missing one important part: the OpenWindows Programmers
Guide.  While the API Reference Manual and Porting Guide are fine in their
own right, you cannot get any real work done without a programmer's guide.
In particular, the API reference has absolutely no example code in it to
help you out.

Am I missing something fundamental?  Did I not get a complete manual set?
Where do I turn for example code and a more tutorial approach?  I am a
wizened SunView veteran, and I want to learn XView as a complete system,
not just how to convert tools.

My flails are prompted by some problems in opening a font.  The font
attributes include FONT_FAMILY, and FONT_STYLE.  The API reference says
that these attributes accept character strings for their values.  (What a
help, huh?)  Perusing the include files (which I should NEVER have to do)
tells me that things like FONT_FAMILY_LUCIDA and FONT_STYLE_BOLDITALIC are
acceptable values for these attributes (I think).  However, using these
attributes results in the default font, I think.  Here is my code:

    #include	<stdio.h>
    #include	<xview/xview.h>
    #include	<xview/panel.h>
    #include	<xview/font.h>

    main(argc, argv)

    int	argc;
    char	**argv;

    {	Frame	frame;
	    Panel	panel;
	    Xv_font	font;

	    xv_init(XV_INIT_ARGC_PTR_ARGV, &argc, argv, 0);
	    font = xv_create(NULL, FONT,
				FONT_FAMILY, FONT_FAMILY_LUCIDA,
				FONT_SIZE, 14,
				FONT_STYLE, FONT_STYLE_BOLD_ITALIC,
			     0);
	    frame = xv_create(NULL, FRAME, XV_LABEL, "A simple window", 0);
	    panel = xv_create(frame, PANEL,
				 XV_WIDTH, 400,
				 XV_HEIGHT, 200,
			      0);
	    xv_create(panel, PANEL_BUTTON,
			 PANEL_LABEL_STRING, "A Button",
			 PANEL_LABEL_FONT, font,
		      0);
	    window_fit(frame);
	    window_main_loop(frame);
    }

My button is always displayed in the default font.  What gives?  How do I
know what values are appropriate for these attributes?  Where is some real
documentation on this?

Chuck Musciano				ARPA  : chuck at trantor.harris-atd.com
Harris Corporation 			Usenet: ...!uunet!x102a!trantor!chuck
PO Box 37, MS 3A/1912			AT&T  : (407) 727-6131
Melbourne, FL 32902			FAX   : (407) 727-{5118,5227,4004}

I'm glad you asked, son.  Being popular
	is the most important thing in the world.	-- Homer Simpson