CDC Wren VII format.dat?

Guy Turcotte turcotte at asterix.drev.dnd.ca
Wed Feb 28 04:37:20 AEST 1990

kus3 at tank.uchicago.edu (Bob Kusumoto) writes:

>OK, here I sit next to my sparc, while I wait for my vendor to send me a
>terminator and a manual for my new wren VII (model IMP 520657-80, or is it
>suppose to be ST41200N, got me).  Anyway, I need to know how to format
>this thing for my sparc and what the format.dat entry should look like
>since I have no idea at this point without a manual.

Here are the parameters that we used to format our CDC Wren VII. Those
info come from the format.dat file of SunOS 4.1 beta:

disk_type = "CDC Wren VII 94601-12G" \
	: ctlr = MD21 : fmt_time = 4 \
	: cache = 0x11 : trks_zone = 15 : asect = 5 : atrks = 30 \
	: ncyl = 1703 : acyl = 2 : pcyl = 1931 : nhead = 15 : nsect = 80 \
	: rpm = 3600 : bpt = 31410

we got some timeout problems when we tried to format the drive at first.
We dis installed some patches coming from SUN to support the hexabyte on
the SS-1. Those patches are named CONSULT. You can ask your SUN rep about
it.  (It appears that those patches are correcting other problems
associated with the MD21 controller.)

Guy Turcotte
turcotte at asterix.drev.dnd.ca