Problems installing CDC Wren VI

Geoffrey H. Cooper geof at aurora.com
Thu Feb 8 06:23:00 AEST 1990

In article <4673 at brazos.Rice.edu> S1.FXK at isumvs.iastate.edu (FRITZ KEINERT) writes:

>The  relationship  between minor device numbers (as far as the Sun OS is
>concerned) and the device number that the drive is jumpered to is this:
>minor  device  number  =  8  * drive number. Thus, the Wren VI jumpered
>to position 1 should be major device 7 (or whatever), minor device  8.
>During boot, our machine shows something like "device sd2 master 7 slave
>8" or whatever it is. Anyway, our Wren VI, jumpered to position 1, is
>known to the system as sd2.

I also noticed this sort of behavior.  I believe it is because Sun is
mapping the internal drives to sd0 and sd1, leaving sd2 and sd3 for
external.  Our Wren VI's are jumpered to zero, and I was surprised to find
that this caused them to be sd3.  It looks like Sun is internally mapping
the drive numbers to 3-drive#.

Anyway, my SS1 monitor is perfectly content to boot off sd3a, so there is
really no problem (setenv boot-from sd(0,3,0)vmunix).

geof at aurora.com / aurora!geof at decwrl.dec.com / geof%aurora.com at decwrl.dec.com