Problems installing CDC Wren VI

FRITZ KEINERT S1.FXK at isumvs.iastate.edu
Fri Feb 2 01:58:17 AEST 1990

The  relationship  between minor device numbers (as far as the Sun OS is
concerned) and the device number that the drive is jumpered to is this:
minor  device  number  =  8  * drive number. Thus, the Wren VI jumpered
to position 1 should be major device 7 (or whatever), minor device  8.
During boot, our machine shows something like "device sd2 master 7 slave
8" or whatever it is. Anyway, our Wren VI, jumpered to position 1, is
known to the system as sd2.

Don't ask me why, but that is Sun's default. We generated a new kernel
that calls the drive sd1, but the we realized that all new OS distribution
tapes come with the other setting, which might create total confusion.

Hope this helps
Fritz Keinert                         s1.fxk at isumvs.bitnet
Department of Mathematics             s1fxk at vaxd.iastate.edu
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011                        phone:(515) 294-5128