CDC Sabre 9720-736 SMD to XD7053

Everett F Batey II elroy!suned1!efb at ames.arc.nasa.gov
Wed Feb 21 12:54:58 AEST 1990

Getting an error message _hard sector count less than nsect_ each time we
try to format our CDC Sabre 9720-736.  We are using values physcyl=1626,
datacyl=1624, altcyl=2, sect_per_tk=52, rpm=3600, bytes_per_sect=582.  IF
ANY OF YOU HAVE successfully used SMD Controller XD7053 with CDC Sabre
9720-736, we would appreciate your format.dat and any any dip-switch or
other adjustment data.

Our XD7053 is only supporting these two 736s and has the vendor required
configs.  The Sun 3 ( OS 4.0.3 ) IS ABLE to touch the -736s address
register so we assume we are partly connected, correctly.  IDEAS, ALL ..
WELCOME ..

[[Ed's Note: Okay, I'm going to be sorry I did this, but it needs to be
done, so I'm going to open myself to floods of mail. Please send your
favorite *working* format.dat entries for devices to me
(RGREENEB at RICEVM1.BITNET or RGREENEB at RICEVM1.RICE.EDU or
...!rice!ricevm1!rgreeneb) I'll try to cut out the excesses and put them
in some managable form and then we can have a ready reference for this
type of question, since this seems to be a favorite :). -bdg]]