SS-1 with 19" TRINITRON Display.

Russ Poffenberger poffen at sj.ate.slb.com
Mon Jan 15 12:11:52 AEST 1990

In article <4226 at brazos.Rice.edu> lekash at orville.nas.nasa.gov (John Lekashman) writes:

>   I understood that the 19" color monitor for SS-1 is from HITACHI, but for
>   SS-3xx is from SONY (TRINITRON). But the 16" color monitor for SS-1 is
>   also a TRINITRON monitor. Am I right? We would like to have an SS-1 with a
>   19" color TRINITRON display. Has somebody such a configuration? Is it more
>   costly?
>
>One must spend some time discussing with/threatening ones sales entity.
>They seem to resent doing this particular upgrade.  It has something to do
>with a marketing position, ie the SS-3XX line is somehow much cooler, and
>deserves the better monitor.  This provides you incentive to buy those
>instead.  A good incentive YOU can use is: Well, if I have to spend that
>much, Silicon Graphics, Apollo, Hewlett Packard, DEC, etc. will sell me
><fill in appropriate>, and mean it.  These companies make good products as
>well, and are engaged in serious competition with Sun.

[stuff deleted]

Along a similar note, I am VERY displeased with Sun's marketing policy. I
have just heard that Sun is no longer offering the 327Mb disk in a package
configuration on the 4/330 and 4/370. They now are offering ONLY a new 669
Mb disk.

While I think it is great that Sun is finally offering a big drive, the
fact that this is the ONLY disk available, and are forcing you to pay
$2000 more to get it, is upsetting.

It would have been much better if this disk would have been optional, so
you can take your choice.

Just one more way Sun has of raising their prices.

Russ Poffenberger               DOMAIN: poffen at sj.ate.slb.com
1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110
(408)437-5254