SS-1 with 19" TRINITRON Display.

John Lekashman lekash at orville.nas.nasa.gov
Thu Jan 4 07:33:51 AEST 1990

   I understood that the 19" color monitor for SS-1 is from HITACHI, but for
   SS-3xx is from SONY (TRINITRON). But the 16" color monitor for SS-1 is
   also a TRINITRON monitor. Am I right? We would like to have an SS-1 with a
   19" color TRINITRON display. Has somebody such a configuration? Is it more
   costly?

One must spend some time discussing with/threatening ones sales entity.
They seem to resent doing this particular upgrade.  It has something to do
with a marketing position, ie the SS-3XX line is somehow much cooler, and
deserves the better monitor.  This provides you incentive to buy those
instead.  A good incentive YOU can use is: Well, if I have to spend that
much, Silicon Graphics, Apollo, Hewlett Packard, DEC, etc. will sell me
<fill in appropriate>, and mean it.  These companies make good products as
well, and are engaged in serious competition with Sun.

If they really are completely clueless about its existence, suggest they
try asking headquarters specialty products division about this part number
: @X4/60-GX-8-P4S. (What a syntax.) This is the 4/60GX-8-P4, SS-1, with
the 19" Trinitron substituted.

They will want more money, your mileage may vary.  I happen to feel quite
strongly about high quality work environment, and so push very hard for
things like this that can make this thing you play with all day a little
better.  You should also.  I got 22 of them last month.  They seem to work
fine.  They will also make various threats about 'its not a supported
product, but yes, you should get maintenance anyway.'  Again, your mileage
may vary.

There are also various second source companies that do it.  It all depends
on your acquisistion channels.  It may be cheaper.  For example, a flyer
came across my desk a couple of days ago, from a Winchester Technologies,
in San Jose, California, but I've never got one of their upgrades.

					john