Suitable Sparcstation 1 for X

Matt Landau mlandau at bbn.com
Mon Jan 29 06:08:56 AEST 1990

jim at kanga.lcs.mit.edu (Jim Fulton) writes:
>MIT's R4 server (watch comp.windows.x for announcements) runs quite nicely
>on a 16meg SPARCstation 1 with a vanilla cg3 8-bit framebuffer.  We
>haven't tried it on an 8meg system...

I'm running it on an 8-meg color machine, and it's blindingly fast at most
operations.  (Interestingly enough, though, we've found in analyzing some
of our X11 programs that doing any graphics using a fill_style of
FillOpaqueStippled is *really* slow in the X11R4 compared to the Sun
OpenWindows server.  The MIT server doesn't seem to optimize the case
where the stipple is a "good" size, like 32 x 32 -- it just uses the fully
generic "fill anything with anything" code, which is slow.)