3/280 CPU board in 3/160 class VME cage

lectroid!!fmbutt at uunet.uu.net lectroid!!fmbutt at uunet.uu.net
Tue Jan 2 04:53:52 AEST 1990

This is a short one so I'll be brief.  I am going to be swapping out my
3/280 board out for a 3/480.  Instead of sending Sun back their 3/280
board, I would like to arrange for it to be kept on site (perhaps in a
"spare" capacity).  Instead of it moldering away in a closet somewhere, I
would like to install the 3/280 board in a 3/160 (3/180 ??) class machine
(OLD, OLD Sun 3 fileserver).  The 3/160 has a VME bus etc. etc. Will this
work (i.e. will the 3/160 magically become a small 3/280) ?  If not, why ?
Am I being insane to even try this ?  I am sure that Sun did something to
prevent exactly this from happening...

Inquiring minds want to know,
fmb