replacement program for xbgsun users

Jim Frost saber!jimf at harvard.harvard.edu
Tue Jan 2 08:55:24 AEST 1990

In X-Sun-Spots-Digest: Volume 8, Issue 217, message 18 of 23:

|I have some files produced by the "screendump" utility on a Sun(3/4) that
|I want to display in an X11.3 application, preferably using the xwud
|utility.  Is there a way to get Sun rasterfile format data directly over
|to x window dump format (without having to write my own utility of course
|... call me lazy, but I think SOMEONE out there must already have done
|this!) ?
|
|[[Ed's Note: A casual browsing of our system utilities shows this
|program - xbgsun which looks like the kind of thing you are looking for.
|We don't have source publicly available, and I was unable to track down
|where it originally came from, so you'll have to write the author if you
|are interested. -bdg]]

I have written a replacement for xbgsun which is more reliable and which
can read Sun Rasterfile, X10/11 bitmap, XPM, Faces Project, and (with the
upcoming patchlevel) GIF files.  It can do some simple image processing
functions such as brightening, zooming, and dithering so it can be used
across a very large array of displays.

This utility, currently distributed at patchlevel 02, is available from
the comp.sources.x archives (posted around mid-november with patchlevel 02
posted shortly after) or by anonymous ftp from expo.lcs.mit.edu in
/contrib/xloadimage.{tar,patch02}.Z.

If you use xbgsun please pick up xloadimage because it's a lot nicer.
Watch for the new patchlevel to appear by the end of the week, after I get
verification that it works on one of the displays that I was having
trouble with (XPutImage using ZPixmap images is real tough if the display
depth is not a multiple of 8).

I can email sources to anyone who cannot access internet or get the
sources from the archives, but I'd like to keep that to a minimum since
it's pretty time-consuming.

I still can't believe how far and wide xbgsun has travelled :-).

jim frost
saber software
jimf at saber.com