new fileserver setup

Gary Cattelino zardoz!cerveza!gary at uunet.uu.net
Wed Jan 3 04:14:11 AEST 1990

We are about to purchase a new Sun 4/490 fileserver and I would like to
get advice from the net on how best to set it up and use it.

The 4/490 configuration to be purchased:

32 Mbytes ECC memory, 5 or 6 1-GByte disks, 2 IPI disk controllers, 1/2"
tape, 1/4" tape, 8mm tape (all tapes are in the rack!), 19" monochrome
monitor.  The second SCSI hose adapter that is needed for the third tape
drive will also have an external connector for external SCSI devices (or
so I'm told by my Sun sales rep).

BACKGROUND
----------

We currently using the following sun equipment:

Quantity      Model      Configuration
  6           4/110      8meg memory, 327 meg disk (one with a wren V also)
  1           4/260      32meg memory, 2x280 meg disks
  3           386i/250   327 meg disk
  1           386i/150   91 meg disk
 20           Sparc 1    2x104 meg disks, 8 or 16 meg memory
  2           Sparc 1    104 meg disk, 8 meg memory

Every machine is currently running standalone each with their own copy of
unix.  Files are all over the network and are either being mounted with
NFS or in the automounter tables (one group of people refuse to use the
automounter and like to cross mount everything...sigh).  At least most of
the home directories are on a Wren V connected to one of the 4/110s.

As you can see, we are in desperate need of a fileserver.

GOALS
-----

I would like to use the new fileserver to help centralize the
administration of the network and consolidate the file storage in one
place.  For example, I would like to easily upgrade the OS without having
to go from machine to machine loading data.  Also, centralized backup of
important data is a must!

One possible setup I've been thinking about is to have all the machines
boot and get unix from the file server and use the local disks for swap,
/tmp and local data files.  The 386i machines do not have to be booted
from the fileserver and will probably remain standalone (no one really
uses them).

We are using the Suns to process seismic data so we have no problem
filling up disks.  I'm not sure if we need to backup the raw seismic data
or not, as it can always be reloaded from tape.  The processed data and
intermediate data files might be candidates for backup since to recreate
them from the raw data would require some work.

Any advice on the use of this new fileserver would greatly be appreciated.
How would you partition the file server disks?  Should I repartition the
client machines or just do a newfs on the c partition and use a .swap file
in the /tmp partition (with /tmp mounted on the c partition)?  What are
the advantages/disadvantages of using a swap file .vs. a swap partition?
Our local Sun FE says that a swap file gives the same performance as a
swap partition and recommends to always use a swap file.

Please mail me or post replies to sun-spots.

P.S.  If anyone would like to work here and help me run this network,
please let me know!

      Gary A. Cattelino              Unocal Science & Technology
      sun!sunkist!cerveza!gary       gary at unocal.com
      uunet!{zardoz,spsd}!cerveza!gary
	  (714) 528-7201 x2715