Bizzare strangeness...the saga continues

Adam W. Feigin adam at ncifcrf.gov
Mon Jan 29 09:16:49 AEST 1990

Well, I got nothing from my first posting, and I have a little more
information now, so I thought I'd try again. I built X11R4 on our 4/260C
(cgtwo+gpone) earlier this week, and it was working for about 6 hours,
then we lost the disk that the software was on. Sun came in and replaced
the disk AND the controller (to the latest rev), and I reloaded all the
software from tape, but it doesn't work anymore. The message I get is:

xinit: Connection refused (errno 61): unable to connect to X server

I dont even get the nice stipple grey background on this machine, just the
error message. At first I thought perhaps the backup was corrupted, so I
rebuilt the entire distribution, but no luck. However, we have another
4/260C (cgtwo, no gpone), and it works fine on that machine.

There's also another (bizzare) quirk. All of the clients work using
another machine's display, except for the fact that they have to have the
remote machines IP address:0  instead of hostname:0 as the display.  It's
like gethostbyname is failing, because the client error message is:

Error: Can't Open display

(as opposed to Cant Open Display 'displayname')

This has me at my wits end....Does anyone have ANY suggestions as to what
my problem(s) may be, and how I might solve them ???

Internet: adam at ncifcrf.gov			Adam W. Feigin
UUCP: {backbonz}!ncifcrf!adam			Senior Systems Manager
Mail: P.O. Box B, Bldg 430	National Cancer Institute-Supercomputer Center
      Frederick, MD 21701		Frederick Cancer Research Facility