my previous posting about gethostid(2)...

sgf at cs.brown.edu sgf at cs.brown.edu
Wed Jan 17 01:41:33 AEST 1990

My previous submission described the gross action of a couple of routines
in the kernel based on information obtained using adb. I was informed by
someone at Sun (whoever you are, sorry; I lost the mail) that I was in
violation of my license agreement because the license clearly states that
it is forbidden to "disassemble" or "decompile" the object code.

If adb does this I apologize. I had no idea; the man of adb clearly states
that it is a "debugger" and "examines" code. It mentions nothing about
"disassembling" or "decompiling". It even has an option specifically for
"Unix kernel memory mapping" Perhaps the man page should bear a warning...

(and how am I going to debug my device drivers if I can't use adb...?)

sgf at cfm.brown.edu