8-bit color emulator for 24 bit color framestore

Stephen Herman;6072;2.46d;$0310 sjh at briar.philips.com
Tue Jan 30 06:29:30 AEST 1990

Late spring of 1989 I was told by SUN that they will release an 8-bit
color simulator for their new 24-bit color frame store systems so that
software developed for 8-bit color systems should run without problems on
24-bit color systems. Has anyone seen such a simulator and has had any
experience with it? I have an upgrade to my Sun 4/110 in house that is
waiting to be installed. It will convert my 4/110 8-bit unit to a 4/330
24-bit color unit. However, I am concerned that several software packages
important to me on a daily basis, including Framemaker, do not support
24-bit color. In fact, Framemaker bombs out the display on an other 24-bit
Sparcstation in the house. So I would like to have the 8-bit simulator to
keep exisiting packages going while I proceed with my full color work.
Any advice would be appreciated, including the order number for the 8-bit
simulator, if it exists.

Stephen Herman
Philips Labs
914-945-6072