3/80 Boot troubles continue!!

Joe Smith jms at tardis.tymnet.com
Fri Jun 15 10:07:32 AEST 1990

In article <8394 at brazos.Rice.edu> giacobbe at pilot.njin.net (Jeff Giacobbe) writes:

>When I start rpc.bootparamd in debug mode and then try to boot a client, I
>get the following error about 50 times (until the boot attempt times out)
>	bp_getclntent failed.

Have you verified that the name in /etc/bootparamd is the workstation's
primary name and not one of its aliases?

1) Verify that the workstation's ethernet address is in /etc/ethers.
	tardis% ypmatch 8:0:20:6:17:da ethers.byaddr
	8:0:20:6:17:da	romana

2) Determine the workstation's primary name, 2nd field in /etc/hosts.
	tardis% ypmatch romana hosts.byaddr
	131.146.99.99	romana romana.tymnet.com
  In this case, the primary name is "romana", the alias is "romana.tymnet.com"

3) Verify that the primary name is found in /etc/bootparams.
	tardis% ypmatch romana bootparams
	root=tardis:/export/root/romana swap=tardis:/export/swap/romana
   Note that if the two names for romana were swapped in /etc/hosts, then
   rpc.bootparamd would not find the client's entry in the YP map.

4) If needed, "touch /etc/hosts /etc/ethers /etc/bootparams; cd /var/yp;
   make".

Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: jms at tardis.tymnet.com or jms at gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms
PO Box 49019, MS-C41    | BIX: smithjoe | 12 PDP-10s still running! "POPJ P,"
San Jose, CA 95161-9019 | humorous dislaimer: "My Amiga speaks for me."