Questions on ypbinding

ittc!fbresz at uunet.uu.net ittc!fbresz at uunet.uu.net
Sat Jun 16 02:55:12 AEST 1990

I am the network administrator for a medium sized installation of SUN
workstations.  We have the following weirdness with our network.  I have 1
major server (4/390). It is the NFS main server for most home accounts.  I
also have it as the building yellow page master machine. It is running
SunOS 4.0.3.  I have a total of 3 other YP/NIS Slave servers  (one 386i
(blech!?), one SS1+, and one 3/260.  My network is bridged to separate the
traffic uopstairs/downstairs.  Now here is the weirdness.  I can find no
machines which think that the 4/390 is the ypserver based on information
found using ypwhich. This includes the server itself.  Has anyone seen
similar results?  Also I have noticed that when I create new accounts on
the master it takes some non deterministic amount of time ~5 minutes for
the account to appear on all the machines.  It almost seems as if the
yppush is not quite working correctly and it is waiting for the YPFXFER to
be completed at the top of the hour.  Again any ideas??

InterNet: fbresz at ittc.wec.com
UUCP:     ...!uunet!ittc!fbresz
Voice:    (412)733-6749
Fax:      (412)733-6444