Xwindows keymapping?

John Williams pegasus!johnw at pegasus.com
Sat Jun 9 12:09:06 AEST 1990

I am searching for a way, on a SS1 under X windows, to be able to program
the function keys so that each will "emit" its own ASCII string when
pressed -- just like the function keys on those good old-fashioned $500
terminals.

I have tried "ioctl(fd,KIOSETKEY,...", and it works fine in console mode
but not under X windows.

I have looked at "xmodmap", but that only takes one as far as the
"keysyms".  Furthermore, how do I program "shift F1" if there is no keysym
for it?

Please respond via email to:

	ssi-jw at ssi-h.pegasus.com

and I will post a summary of responses.....

	John Williams				Phone:(808)537-9561
	Seafloor Surveys International, Inc.	Fax:  (808)523-5958
	Honolulu, Hawaii, U.S.A.