Problem with nodelay() in curses(3v) in Sun/OS 4.0.3.

David R Kohr drk at athena.mit.edu
Sat Jun 9 09:16:50 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jun8.002108.11536 at athena.mit.edu> drk at athena.mit.edu (David R Kohr) writes:
>I'm having a problem with the System V curses(3v) provided with
>Sun/OS 4.0.3.

I got the following reply from Carl Smith at Sun in response to a
cross-posting of this article to comp.sys.sun:

| From: cs at Eng.Sun.COM (Carl Smith)
| Subject: Re: Problem with nodelay() in curses(3v) in Sun/OS 4.0.3.
|
| I discovered the same thing myself about a year ago and filed a bug on it.
| It's bug #1012523, and it's fixed in SunOS 4.1.  Here's the public summary
| from that bug report:
|
|	The curses library function wgetch fails when the window is put in
|	no delay mode (via nodelay(win, TRUE)).  Characters in the tty input
|	queue are not read, and the return value of the function is incorrect.

So I now know that the Sun/OS 4.0.3 nodelay() and halfdelay() System V
curses(3v) routines definitely do *not* work properly.  Now if someone
could tell me how to achieve the same functionality as nodelay() by some
other means (perhaps a non-blocking select(2) on the terminal device),
that would completely solve my problem.

David R. Kohr     M.I.T. Lincoln Laboratory      Group 45 ("Radars 'R' Us")
    email:    DRK at ATHENA.MIT.EDU (preferred)  or  KOHR at LL.LL.MIT.EDU
    phone:    (617)981-0775 (work)	      or  (617)527-3908 (home)