Test-net failed

ittc!fbresz at uunet.uu.net ittc!fbresz at uunet.uu.net
Tue Jun 12 11:46:52 AEST 1990

In article <8729 at brazos.Rice.edu> BKEHOE at WIDENER.BITNET writes:

>In the monitor, I did 'test-net' and received the message that it didn't
>receive the internal loopback test (le0 interface on SS1 under 4.0.3).
>Should I panic yet?

Well you might start to panic.  If the ethernet connector is connected and
you are sure the cable is good then the board is probably fried.  However
it could just been a burnt fuse.  We have seen this problem in the past
one time: it was the fuse and we called Sun and had it replaced (luckily
it was still under warranty).  It ran fine for one day then bit the big
one and we had to replace the board anyway.  The other time the board just
flat out went.  Unfortunately in the world of everything on one board this
costed us in the neighborhood of $1800 to get repaired and we are an OEM.
All in all I would say panic'ing is in order.  Also there is a loopback
ethernet connector which is bascially a 15-pin D-Connector with pins
(don't quote me check with someone who knows for sure.) 3-5 & 10-13 wired
together this will test the board on the SPARC.  You should be able to
plug it in and run test-net again.  This basically just tells you if the
E-Net cable you have is good.  If you succeed with this jumpered
configuration then the cable is bad and you have gotten off cheap.

InterNet :	fbresz at ittc.wec.com
UUCP:		..!uunet!ittc!fbresz