Choose a server or more workstations?

Gary L Dare gld at cunixd.cc.columbia.edu
Fri Jun 8 14:02:20 AEST 1990

We're running a small Digital VLSI Design lab with a set of 3 Sparc-
stations as our platforms for design tools: layout programs, circuit
simulators, etc.  We have a Sun 3/60 running as our server, while the
three Sparcs are diskless.

We're looking for a route to expand, with the following options:

1. A real server, like a Sun 330 or an expandable Solbourne server.
2. More workstations, mainly SS 1+.
3. More workstations, a couple of SLC and one more SS 1+.
4. More workstations, just SLC's.

The only problem with options 2-4 would be that our 3/60 would become
severely taxed at some point as our server; it's no problem with three
Sparcs, but how far can I push it?

Your opinions on why you would pick one of these options (even for your
own research/work purposes) would be highly illuminating!

Gary L. Dare				"An independant Quebec
 gld at cunixD.cc.columbia.EDU		 in a strong Canada!"
 gld at cunixc.BITNET			 - Yvon Deschamps, comedian