Need info on Auspex NS-5000

Vimal Kakkar vimal at govt.shearson.com
Wed Jun 27 02:00:32 AEST 1990

Our network is growing, its becoming difficult to move diskless clients
across the network, therefore we are looking for a network server. We are
evaluating Auspex NS-5000, Sun-490 and Sequent S27 servers.

Auspex claims that NS 5000 with 1 ethernet and from 1 to 4 disks on the
server has 1.4-4.2 times the throughput of the 4/490. The Throughput can
increase upto 10 times with  2 ethernets and 4 disk drives.  We have also
heard a rumor that they achive this by sending the acknowledgement before
write rather than after write.

Has any one done any evaluation of the above machines?  Would you like to
share your experiences? Any information is welcome.

In return I promise to summarize all the info and pass it on.