"Talk" Problem!

Varma srvarma at zookeeper.cns.syr.edu
Wed Jun 27 02:47:28 AEST 1990

We are running SunOS 4.0.3 on our Sun-3.60s. We have observed following
problem while using talk between a Sun machine and a 4.3BSD machine.
Either way, it says "Checking for invitation on caller's machine" and gets
stuck forever.

Does anyone have any clues to what this means? I did RTFM on talk but did
find anything on this. Incidentally, someone mentioned that talk between a
Sun and a non-Sun machine is corrected of problems in 4.3BSD. Now I can
understand why talk originated from a Sun to a 4.3BSD machine still hangs
(since Sun did not use BSD talk source) but why same thing happens when
talk originates from a BSD machine? OR does it matter which machine is
origin and which is destination? Talk, however, does work fine between 2
Sun machines (obviously) and a 4.2BSD and 4.3BSD machine.

Thanks,
Sandeep Varma.
(srvarma at zookeeper.cns.syr.edu)