Temperature sensors, hardware and software?

John Bien jsb at gumby.dsd.trw.com
Fri Jun 15 08:31:40 AEST 1990

Anybody out there electronically monitoring their computer rooms?  We are
interested in adding remote temperature sensors in some offsite location
communication rooms.  We'd like to hook them into a serial port on our
Suns  (or maybe even into a cheap PC) and then query the Sun or PC.  Does
anybody out there have any experience doing this?  What sort of hardware
is out there?  What about software?  I've heard of hardware that uses the
protocol(?) TBOF.  Where would I find software to interact with one of
these devices?  What would be great would be some PD code that I could
hack into an SNMP agent (probably using the ISODE SMUX stuff) that would
allow quering and sending back alarms.  Wonder if there's anything like
this already out there?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

	John Bien 				(213) 814-8546
	TRW Space and Defense Sector, Communications services
	jsb at gumby.dsd.TRW.COM			(Internet)