Matrix Film Recorder (Original: v9n239)

Jon Elion jle at cfm.brown.edu
Thu Jun 28 10:55:12 AEST 1990

In v9n239, jjr at emx.utexas.edu asks about the Matrix (Agfa) video film
recorder and its use with Sun monitors.  I have used the Matrix 6000 high
resolution film recorder on a Sun3/260 (same high-res color monitor
requirements).  It is ADEDEQUATE, but not wonderful, and not does not give
crisp images worthy of its pricetag.  The problem with cameras of this
type is that they work from strict ANALOG video, creating a full image on
a flat-screen  B&W TV screen.  A triple exposure is made, one each for the
red, green, and blue components of your image.  The 6000 has very flexible
exposure capabilities, can be controlled by a serial I/O line (RS-232C),
and is representative of cameras in this class.

Now I am using a LaserGraphics LFR Film Recorder, capable of 4000 x 3000
resolution, for about the same price.  The catch -- it is running off an
IBM PC clone.  Sun screens get screendumped, converted to Targa format
(sun2targa utility), accessed by the PC via PC-NFS, and downloaded
"digitally" to the LFR camera using a utility shipped with the utility.
Ultimately, the LFR also makes its pictures with a triple-exposre of a
flat-screen B&W TV, but only ONE PIXEL AT A TIME (ergo the very high
resolution capability).  Slides are crisp, sharp, and with brilliant
colors.  LaserGraphics makes a standalone interface box that talks RS-232C
(serial), but I don't know if there is software for the Sun side to
download images.  Additional advantages of my setup is that several raster
images can be combined with titles and labels on the PC using graphics
software (I use "Mirage" by Zenographics).  There is less flexibility in
film selection, but I have shot both color slides (Ektachrome-100) and B&W
negatives.

Several other "digital" cameras are marketed in the $10K price range.  My
advice -- steer clear of the strict analog variety in resolutions above
512 x 512.  Another possible solution for lower resolutions is to use a
video convertor to down-scan the video and use one of the many cameras
which can handle lower resolutions.  Once you have seen slides from the
high-res digital cameras, though, nothing less will do.  Get sample slides
from the manufactures (you'll need to see something more than test
patterns, though!)