4.1 and rup

Joe Smith jms at tardis.tymnet.com
Thu Jun 28 14:06:04 AEST 1990

In article <8992 at brazos.Rice.edu> len at rufus.math.nwu.edu (Len Evens) writes:

>The 4.1 systems can find all the machines with rup and rusers, but the
>4.0.3 systems cannot find the two new machines with those commands. However,
>if the host is listed explicitly, the 4.0.3 machines can find the machine.

Are all the interfaces using the same netmask?  Are they all using the
same broadcast address?  Try typing "ifconfig ie0" (or whatever is
appropriate) on each host.

Our servers can see each other and their local clients, but not the
clients of the other servers.  This is because each server is connected
directly to the campus backbone via ie1, and connected to the clients via
ie0.  The rup and rusers broadcast message is not passed through the
gateway routers.  Doing a rup on a specific host is not a broadcast
message, and it is routed.

Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: jms at tardis.tymnet.com or jms at gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms
PO Box 49019, MS-C41    | BIX: smithjoe | 12 PDP-10s still running! "POPJ P,"
San Jose, CA 95161-9019 | humorous dislaimer: "My Amiga speaks for me."