Nested Exports

Wolfgang Kuehnel pkinbg!caxwgk at relay.eu.net
Wed Jun 27 18:02:42 AEST 1990

>From article <9285 at brazos.Rice.edu>, by km at mathcs.emory.edu:
> Does the restriction that you cannot export both a tree and a subtree on
> the same filesystem still apply? If so does this mean that you can't
> export a whole partition to one machine and a restricted piece to another?
> Whats the reason for this restriction?

In SunOs4.1 this restriction still exisists.  (In my opinion this
restriction is not a restriction in everyday use.) You have to distinct
between exporting a filesystem (making it accessible to the clients) by
the host and mounting the filesystem by the client(s). Of course you can
export a whole filesystem and mount subtrees of that filesystem on
specific clients. (For example, export the /home partition and
(auto-)mount the home directories of users on the machine they are
actually logged in.) For more security, you can export a filesystem
read-only by the "ro" option, specifing read/write access for trusted
clients by the option "rw=clientname".  I think this is almost what you
want to do. Hope that helps and I didn't waste your time.