Ethernet Terminal Servers

Ross Parker zaphod!parker at uunet.uu.net
Wed Jun 27 10:55:17 AEST 1990

In article <9281 at brazos.Rice.edu>, ericd at ms.uky.edu (Eric B. Durbin) writes:
|>Has anyone had good/bad experiences with ethernet terminal servers used
|>with a SUN SPARCserver?  I recall there are known problems with the Vista
|>terminal server.  I need more vendor names and telephone numbers, cause
|>I've only been able to find two:  Artecon and Lantronix.

We've had opportunity to look at three different TCP/IP terminal servers
recently, but have only a little experience with any of them. The three
companies are Cisco, Xylogics, and Emulex.

>From what we saw, the Xylogics box was superior to the others in
configurability and speed, and was competitive in price/port. The Cisco
was pretty fast, but was expensive and was very bizarre to configure. The
Emulex was ho-hum - no surprises, not too expensive, and did the job ok.

I would definitely recommend the Xylogics over the other two, and probably
the Emulex second. I would only buy the Cisco if you needed really fast
throughput and couldn't get the Xylogics.

I don't have addresses on hand for any of these companies, but could
probably find them if you need them.

Ross Parker				parker at mpre.mpr.ca
(604)293-5495				uunet!ubc-cs!mpre!parker