Changing SCSI address in shoebox [SUMMARY]

Mark Davies mark at comp.vuw.ac.nz
Wed Jun 27 10:18:15 AEST 1990

I have now successfully daisy-chained my shoebox off the 3/80 and external
storage module (Have these things got a better name?).

Thanks to
	Chuck Purcell <cjp at ssesco.com>
	jpolcari at cat.Prime.COM
	Bruce Samuelson <bruce%utafll%texbell%cs.utexas.edu>
	Morry Katz <katz at rpal.com>
	Greg Onufer <daver!cheers!greg at uunet.uu.net>
for their useful responses.

To summarise what needed to be done.

1) Change the SCSI addresses on the boards.

SunOS expects the following mapping between devices and SCSI addresses

	      SCSI addr    unit number
	sd0	0		0	first disk in first external module
	sd1	0		1	second disk 	"	"	"
	sd2	1		0	first disk in second external module
	sd3	1		1	second disk	"	"	"

	st0	4		0	cartridge in first external module
	st1	5		0	    "	     second  "	      "

so to hang the shoebox off the 3/80 I needed to change the address of its
disk to 1 and the the tape to 5 (or some other free pair)

For the emulex controller (on the tape) there is a DIP switch labelled SW1
	On the DIP Switch:
		Switch 1:	SCSI Addr Bit 0 (2^0)
		Switch 2:	SCSI Addr Bit 1
		Switch 3:	SCSI Addr Bit 2 (2^2)

For the adaptec (disk controller) there is a row of jumpers near the centre
of the board:
		A-B:		SCSI Addr Bit 0 (2^0)
		C-D:		SCSI Addr Bit 1
		E-F:		SCSI Addr Bit 2 (2^2)

1a) Several people mentioned that the SCSI bus would be terminated in the
shoebox and gave the following instructions to undo this:

Remove two yellow resistors from the disk controller.  The resistors are
labelled U22 and U35. Also remove a white resistor which is on a card next
to the disk drive. The resistor is between two blue cable connectors right
near the front of the disk drive, i.e. near the open end of the case.

I did not try this as the existing external storage module had an external
SCSI terminator so I simply removed this and added the shoebox as the
final link in the chain.

2) Configure your kernel
add lines similar to these to your config and rebuild.
tape            st1 at sm0 drive 40 flags 1
disk            sd2 at sm0 drive 8 flags 0

My kernel already had them configured so I skipped this step.

3) Make the devices
cd /dev
./MAKEDEV sd2 st1

and thats it.