Has anyone tried the quota system?

Guy Harris auspex!guy at uunet.uu.net
Fri Jun 29 04:54:59 AEST 1990

>We use quotas for all accounts and find no general performance loss *BUT*
>when a user logs on, all mounted filesystems are checked for the user's
>quota (a user may have space on more than one filesystem).  I have 10 file
>servers with a total in execess of 8Gbytes of cross mounted disk on some
>30 partitions.  Logging in may take several minutes on a heavily loaded or
>slow machine.  This can be counteracted with hushlogin(5).

Or, if the problem is with NFS-mounted file systems, by mounting them on
the *clients* with the "noquota" option; this option obviously does *not*
turn off quota checking when creating extending or extending files (the
checks are done on the server, and you can't control that with a client
mount option), but *does* mean that the "/usr/ucb/quota" fired off by
"login" won't bother asking the remote "quota server" about those file
systems.