Has anyone tried the quota system?

Chris Elvin celvin at EE.Surrey.Ac.UK
Wed Jun 27 18:57:38 AEST 1990

In article <9230 at brazos.Rice.edu> andy at acorn.co.uk (Andy Ingle) writes:

>aucs!peter at cs.utexas.edu (Peter Steele) writes:
>
>>We want to enable the quota system for student accounts. Has anyone made
>>use of this system and can comment on how it affects performance?

We use quotas for all accounts and find no general performance loss *BUT*
when a user logs on, all mounted filesystems are checked for the user's
quota (a user may have space on more than one filesystem).  I have 10 file
servers with a total in execess of 8Gbytes of cross mounted disk on some
30 partitions.  Logging in may take several minutes on a heavily loaded or
slow machine.  This can be counteracted with hushlogin(5).

Chris Elvin
C.Elvin at EE.Surrey.Ac.UK        "what happens if I press this big red button"
Dept of Elec. Eng, University of Surrey, Guildford, Surrey, GU2 5XH. England