Sun to Xenix UUCP

Rasmus Lerdorf contact!rasmus at cs.utexas.edu
Sat Jun 9 08:02:50 AEST 1990

In <8644 at brazos.Rice.edu> seila!dksfr!don at mahendo.jpl.nasa.gov writes:
>Recently, the Sun was upgraded to a more recent version of SunOS (4.1)
>which apparently replaces the UUCP implementation with the HoneyDanBer
>suite.
>Guess what... can't connect any more.  The xenix machine can log in to the
>Sun, (I get a "SUCCEEDED" msg in the log), but i then get a "HANDSHAKE
>FAILED" message and the session fails.

Odd, my problem is just the opposite.  We just upgraded our Sparc Stations
to 4.1 and our connection with a Xenix site was broken as well.  However,
the Xenix site can log in fine.  Problem is that I can't get the chat
script to connect on the Xenix site.  It seems that the Xenix site does
not recognize the character we send for ^M (carriage return).  The uucico
-x5 shows that the ^M's are sent, but they don't register on the other
end.  Sending a ^J (linefeed) seems to do the trick, but then the login
still fails with a login incorrect message.  I dunno, I think it's a
parity problem.  There was a problem on the serial port which I fixed
through eeprom.  I did a shutdown and a halt and brought the system back
up after fixing the parity setting.  Do I need to turn the machine
completely off for the setting to take effect or something?

Rasmus Lerdorf          | rasmus at contact.uucp (Home) (416) 833-6987 145
Kingsworth Rd.          | U of Waterloo Systems Design Engineering '93 King
City, Ont. L0G 1K0      | ..!geac!dmntor!rasmus (Work) (416) 362-0788 x49