Sun to Xenix UUCP

seila!dksfr!don at mahendo.jpl.nasa.gov seila!dksfr!don at mahendo.jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Jun 7 12:51:16 AEST 1990

We've had a UUCP link for a couple of years between a Xenix 286 (2.1)
machine running old-fashioned system V UUCP (my side), and a Sun3 running
version 3.? of SunOS (their side).  Worked just fine.

Recently, the Sun was upgraded to a more recent version of SunOS (4.1)
which apparently replaces the UUCP implementation with the HoneyDanBer
suite.

Guess what... can't connect any more.  The xenix machine can log in to the
Sun, (I get a "SUCCEEDED" msg in the log), but i then get a "HANDSHAKE
FAILED" message and the session fails.

According to the sysadmin on the other end, the account is set up
correctly, and other machines are logging in using similar accounts.

I haven't had a chance to sit down at the Xenix machine (I'm not usually
at the site where its at) and run a uucico session with debug turned up
high...  Before I do that, can anyone tell me if I'll be wasting my time?

This newsgroup is NOT part of my newsfeed; if you follow up, PLEASE email
me a copy of the article!  The usual drooling thanks in advance...

Don Kossman, SEI Information Technology, Los Angeles
...mahendo.jpl.nasa.gov!seila!don