LANCE/ethernet problem. (original v9n179)

Nick Walton nickw at sol1.harlqn.co.uk
Tue Jun 5 22:14:36 AEST 1990

In v9n179, buengc!apollo at bu.edu (Douglas Chan) writes:

> We're getting a lot of the following pairs of error messages:
>  le0: Received packet with ENP bit in rmd cleared
>  le0: Received packet with STP bit in rmd cleared

> It doesn't seem to be causing any problems, it is just an
annoyance...

Out of interest I've seen this message on a network of three Sparc 4C
workstations running SunOS 4.0.3c I was looking after a while ago.
Everything was ok until we hooked up to the outside world ie DECNET using
Suns DNI software.  The DEC system manager said it was a DEC problem and
he'd asked DEC to look into it. The connection to DECNET used thickwire
ethernet, and the DECNET netted together a number of PC's VAXES and
possibly 386is, if that's of any use. The machines crashed occasionally
usually whilst they were not being used but wether this problem was the
cause I dont know.

Nick Walton