4.1 device drivers

dit at kc.aberdeen.ac.uk dit at kc.aberdeen.ac.uk
Tue Jun 5 17:29:24 AEST 1990

We have a device driver for a image processing board, written in the
department under SunOS 4.0.3, which (eventually) works quite well.  Rather
than compiling it into the kernel after upgrading to SunOS 4.1 I tried to
install it as a loadable device driver. I followed the steps in the Device
Drivers manual, writing a wrapper module etc, and followed the
instructions in the manual page for modload(8) and created a config file
based on the entry in /sys/sun3/conf/KERNELNAME, namely

device it0 at vme16d16 ? csr 0x1000 flags 0xa00000 priority 5 vector itintr 0xda

Modload failed with the error

Unrecognized keyword 'vector' on line 1

Removing the 'vector itintr 0xda' part of the config file allowed modload
to work without error, but obviously the driver does not work (it crashed
the whole system when interrupts start).

I tried to build the md_device structure manually, but can still not make
interrupts work ( they still crash unix).

Does anyone know how to make an interrupt driven device driver loadable?
As always, RTFMs welcome if I have missed something obvious. Thanks.

                                         __
David Tock     dit at uk.ac.aberdeen.kc    /  \              /
Department of Mathematical Sciences    /   / __    __o __/
University of Aberdeen                /___/_(_<_/\/ /_/_/