Help selecting Project Management Software

Doug Roberts roberts at studguppy.LANL.GOV
Tue Jun 5 12:44:32 AEST 1990

In article <8479 at brazos.Rice.edu> aaec1!cory at dspvax.mit.edu (Cory Myers) writes:

|The Catalyst book lists twelve different packages and I have the two page
description of SunTrac.  I would like to here from anyone who is willing
to share either positive or negative recommendations for any project
managament software.  Thanks in advance,

I strongly discourage you from considering SunTrac. I've used it for the
past two years to manage two of my medium-to-large-scale simulation design
projects (~6 man-years each), and have found it lacking. The following are
the primary problems I've found with SunTrac:

1. The support for it has been pathetic. I've reported numerous bugs over
   the past two years, and Sun has been unusually non-responsive to the
   reported problems.

2. Sun no longer supports SunTrac. At the moment, it is an orphan. Sun
   reports that they are seeking a third party contractor to assume the
   maintenance responsibilities for the product.

3. It isn't very full featured, in those areas where it _does_ work (i.e.,
   in those areas where it isn't broken). I think you are better off, in
   terms of functionality, with MacProject II.

I am on the verge of chucking SunTrac, at the expense of manually
re-entering a 6 man-year project schedule into some other critical path
project management package.

--Doug