Problems with sunview and 4.1

Marcus Gates marc at aplpy.jhuapl.edu
Fri Jun 8 05:03:41 AEST 1990

I recently upgraded a Sun 4/260 to SunOS 4.1 and have noticed the
following "problems" when running an application which uses sunview.

1. Under 4.1 a sunview process has many more open file descriptors than
   the same process under 4.0.3, does anyone know the correspondance between
   sunview capabilities and file descriptor usage?

2. Even though I have the kernel configured for 128 windows and the window
   devices have been created, I seem to hit a limit at around 90 windows.  Is
   the limit specified somewhere else too?  I know that under 4.0.3 there
   were around 115 available with some being reserved.

3. If I reach the limit (~90) and I try to pop-up the menu with the mouse
   in the frame of a shelltool or cmdtool, the shelltool or command tool will
   core dump (I guess it doesn't catch that it couldn't open the window for
   the pop-up menu).

Any help would be appreciated even if it is of the form "go read such and
such a manual".   I have placed a call to sun and waiting their return
call.  I will post any info learned through those channels.