Lpr Out of Memory with Interleaf

tdatirv!pa1 at uunet.uu.net tdatirv!pa1 at uunet.uu.net
Thu Jun 14 22:44:34 AEST 1990

In article <8731 at brazos.Rice.edu> moncol!l2768 at princeton.edu (SADANAND LAKKA) writes:

>I use a documentation and graphics software called Interleaf on Sun 3/60.
>It has menu driven interface. While executing the print command (output to
>the postscript laser printer), quite often I get an error message "
>/usr/ucb/lpr : out of memory " The laser printer is accessed through the
>ethernet.

The above problem is caused by your workstation running out of memory.
Interleaf requires a minimum of 25MB of swap space to avoid this problem.
This may be related to the PostScript generation code. When I created a
document in Interleaf using graphics and imported raster images, the
postscript file generated was almost 3MB for one page and took the Apple
LaserWriter II 18 minutes to process. The same page in FrameMaker took up
about 400k and less than 5 minutes to print.

  +-+   Pat Alvarado                | Ph:   (213) 524-6104
  |_|   Product Development         | FAX:  (213) 524-0012
   v    Teradata Corporation        | tdat!pa1 at suntzu.sun.com
 /\ /\  100 N. Sepulveda Blvd.      | uunet!usenix.org!suntzu!tdat!pa1
/_/ \_\ El Segundo, Calif. 90245    | pa1 at tdat.teradata.com