Setting up a domain server

Ken Hughes hughes at azroth.csee.usf.edu
Wed Nov 21 05:25:01 AEST 1990

kehoe at scotty.dccs.upenn.edu (Brendan Kehoe) writes:
|> > ... But when I try to
|> > connect to port 25 with sendmail.mx set up as a daemon, it connects
then
|> > freezes.
|>
|> Did you copy sendmail.mx to sendmail?  I tried to just fire up
|> /usr/lib/sendmail.mx and saw un-results.  I usually do the following
|> excersize on all new systems after putting a sendmail.cf that I trust
in
|> /etc:
|>
|> kill any existing sendmail daemons...
|> mv /usr/lib/sendmail /usr/lib/sendmail.nomx
|> cp /usr/lib/sendmail.mx /usr/lib/sendmail
|> (cd /etc; /usr/lib.sendmail -bz)
|> /usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q1h

I've found I also have to have an /etc/resolv.conf in order for
sendmail.mx to be happy, otherwise it hangs or complains about deferring
the name lookup.

|> > I've heard mention that I have to modify the libc.so.1.5 so that
|> > it uses the domain name service to resolve host names rather than
using
|> > the yp (er..NIS) stuff. Umm...HOW? :)
|>
|> In 4.1 all you have to do is set the B macro to -b in
/var/yp/Makefile and
|> NIS does a DNS lookup as well as the regular NIS stuff...

This is set in our makefile.  I find it curious that sendmail.mx wants the
/etc/resolv.conf instead of just using DNS.  Any suggestions?

Ken Hughes  (hughes at sol.csee.usf.edu)