Setting up a domain server

Gehri Grimaud GEHRI at cc.usu.edu
Fri Nov 2 11:20:00 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct8.001528.12430 at rice.edu>, kehoe at scotty.dccs.upenn.edu (Brendan Kehoe) writes:
> ... But when I try to
> connect to port 25 with sendmail.mx set up as a daemon, it connects then
> freezes.

Did you copy sendmail.mx to sendmail?  I tried to just fire up
/usr/lib/sendmail.mx and saw un-results.  I usually do the following
excersize on all new systems after putting a sendmail.cf that I trust in
/etc:

kill any existing sendmail daemons...
mv /usr/lib/sendmail /usr/lib/sendmail.nomx
cp /usr/lib/sendmail.mx /usr/lib/sendmail
(cd /etc; /usr/lib.sendmail -bz)
/usr/lib/sendmail -bd -q1h

> I've heard mention that I have to modify the libc.so.1.5 so that
> it uses the domain name service to resolve host names rather than using
> the yp (er..NIS) stuff. Umm...HOW? :)

In 4.1 all you have to do is set the B macro to -b in /var/yp/Makefile and
NIS does a DNS lookup as well as the regular NIS stuff...

Gehri Grimaud                           gehri at cc.usu.edu
Utah State University                   gehri at usu.bitnet
Office of Computer Services             tel. (801) 750-2392
UMC 3700
Logan, Utah  84322