SUNOS 4.1 woes

katz at rpal.com katz at rpal.com
Fri Nov 2 11:20:00 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct7.234410.7957 at rice.edu> sg04 at gte.com (Steven Gutfreund) writes:

> I have been unable to get SUN OS 4.1 running on my SparcStation.
>
> Two months ago I tried to upgrade to 4.1. Under 4.1 the system operates
> sporatically. Man, more, rc occational report illegal instructions.  Man
> sometimes gives core dumps. Occasional kernel dumps.  Fsck finds corrupted
> files, dups, etc. Basically it feels like flakey memory.

In the past I have found unexplained failures of the sort you describe to
have resulted from bringing up a new version of the OS on hardware which
is of a sufficiently old rev. that the new software won't work on it.  I
would suggest contacting sun to check whether OS4.1 will run on your rev.
of the CPU and SCSI boards.

Morry Katz
Rockwell Science Center
administrator at rpal.com (machine administration issues)