Streams and SunOS4.1.1

Sridhar Acharya sridhar at hls.com
Sat Apr 20 07:30:00 AEST 1991

We had ported our own protocol stack (called V2) to SunOS using the
streams interface. In other words we had pushed our own modules between
the streams "nit" driver and the stream head thus linking it into the
kernal. This was done on Sun OS4.0.3.

As soon as we moved to SunOS4.1.1 the kernel started breaking, I checked
in the manuals but looks like nothing has changed as far as the streams
processing goes, also we are not using any hardcoded offsets in the code
which would cause it to break.  Since the memory corruption happens
earlier and the code dies somewhere else, looking at the kernel core
(vmcore) does not provide much help.  ( I am new at debugging the kernal).

I am wondering that if anybody else had similar experiences with the
streams interface on OS4.1.1. I can provide more details if needed.

Any pointers on the above subject or kernel debugging would be
appreciated.

Thanks
Sridhar Acharya
Hughes Lan Systems.		Inet: sridhar at hls.com or sridhar at nms.hls.com