Maxtor Tahiti 1 and SunOS 4.1.1

William M Gilroy wmg at pixels.att.com
Mon Apr 29 05:20:00 AEST 1991

I am trying to use a Maxtor Tahiti  1  optical  disk  with  SunOS 4.1.1.
This  very  same disk worked under SunOS 4.0.3.  It does not matter
whether it is on a 3/60, 4/280, or a  4/330  which  is running SunOS
4.1.1, I always get the same results.  I have tried different disks (known
to work) and I always get the same failure.  Under  4.1.1  at boot time
you see the message on the screen when it is probing for the optical disk.
At this  time  you  see  the light  on  the  optical  disk  come on and
stay lit for about 4-6 seconds then go out.  The OS claims it did not find
the disk.   I have tried it with both asynchronous I/O enable and
disabled, but I get the same results. My question is this, how do I debug
this problem?  What should I be looking for, what should I be reading.  I
do not know very much about the SCSI interface, any pointers to a better
device driver, or some documents to read would be appre- ciated.  If I get
any answers or helpful hints I will summarize.

Many thanks,
Bill Gilroy
wmg at pixels.att.com

PS. We do not have a source license.
PSS. The firmware level in the optical disk is D8.