Maxtor Tahiti 1 and SunOS 4.1.1

William M Gilroy wmg at pixels.att.com
Mon Apr 29 05:20:00 AEST 1991

I am trying to use a Maxtor Tahiti  1  optical  disk  with  SunOS
4.1.1.   This  very  same disk worked under SunOS 4.0.3.  It does
not matter whether it is on a 3/60, 4/280, or a  4/330  which  is
running SunOS 4.1.1, I always get the same results.  I have tried
different disks (known to work) and I always get the same failure.
Under  4.1.1  at boot time you see the message on the screen when
it is probing for the optical disk.  At this  time  you  see  the
light  on  the  optical  disk  come on and stay lit for about 4-6
seconds then go out.  The OS claims it did not find the disk.   I
have tried it with both asynchronous I/O enable and disabled, but
I get the same results. My question is this, how do I debug  this
problem?  What should I be looking for, what should I be reading.
I do not know very much about the SCSI interface, any pointers to
a better device driver, or some documents to read would be appre-
ciated.  If I get any answers or helpful hints I will summarize.

Thanks,

Bill Gilroy
wmg at pixels.att.com <--- reply to this  address not the posting address

PS. We do not have a source license.
PSS. The firmware level in the optical disk is D8.