How to increase the size of the /usr partition?

Eric Jacquier jacquier at gsbsun.uchicago.edu
Wed Apr 24 10:00:00 AEST 1991

I am afraid I know the answer to this one! I just hope somebody can tell
me wrong!

My SS2 came with 2 internal 207Mb drives. sd0 was formatted with /, /usr,
and /home partitions and OSS4.1.1 was installed. Then I installed fortran,
a bunch of other things. etc..

Then I formatted the second drive with a small partition for added swap
space and a big one. I transfered home from sd0 to sd1.

Now I would like to repartition sd0 so that /usr can get all that added
space. I went into format, then into "partition", removed home and
increased /usr by the appropriate amount. It seems that this is not taken
into account. when I do a du or df, /usr has the same old available space.

Will I have to REINSTALL everything on sd0 (os4.1.1, all my addon software
etc...) so as to increase the size of the /usr partition?  Similarly, if i
want to reduce the swap partition on sd0, will I have to do it in INSTALL,
or can I do it in the format program?  The manual seems to imply that I
have to reinstall, does that mean redoing everything? Or can I just do
minor changes inside reinstall without having to redo the whole
installation?

Neophytely yours,
Thanks for your help
Eric